Friday, June 4, 2010

I've got some 'splain'n to do

Really, a week?  I haven't blogged for a week?  Geesh.  I am surprised you came back!

Well, we've been busy!  Oliver has fully recovered from the scary fever incident of 2010 and is happily eating again and keeping us on our toes. 
The. boy. never. stops. moving. Ever.



Andy and I have been busy too.  Our yard used to look like this:






We needed to put in a fence, but we had 3 trees that grew directly through the property line.  They had grown out of control and had branches that reached precariously over power lines and our roof. 

Once the clean up was done, we were able to put in a fence.  I wanted a 4' shadow box fence which looks beautiful, but meant a lot of extra work for Andy.  In our area we were only able to find fence supplies that were 6' long, which meant that Andy needed to cut 2' off ever piece of fencing!  It was quite a project.

Ta-da!



Yes, I live next to a purple house.  Shudder.  It used to be white.

I love it, and I think it will look awesome when I get a border flower garden in.  We are trying to make up for the fact that we took down three trees.  If you look closely, you will see three small trees.  They are apple trees, 2 Honeycrisp and 1 golden delicious.  It is like the urban equivalent of an apple orchard--but it will be a couple of years before they bear fruit.

We also got our vegetable garden in:



We have 10 (ten!) tomato plants -- which should be interesting come August.  I'm going to have to learn how to can!  We also have peppers, broccoli, zucchini, green beans, snap peas, onions, fennel and various herbs.

We also put in some fruit, two blueberry bushes and some strawberry plants!



Now that I've spelled it all out I've got a real Urban Farm in my back yard.  maybe I should copy my friend Sarah and call it my 'Minneapolis Farmette.'  But I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment