Thursday, February 18, 2010

My own worst enemy

Last night at about 2:00 am I woke up to hear Piglet making noise over the baby monitor.  Operating on auto-pilot, I got up and went into Piglet's room and turned on the lamp that we have in there.  And what did I see when I turned on the lamp you ask?  Well, I saw Piglet, happily playing. I wish I had a rewind button--I should not have turned on that light!

Now, you should know that Piglet slept through the night on Monday.  I didn't say anything before because I didn't want to jinx it, but he slept from 9:30 pm to 5:00 am.  At 4:30 am Andy woke me up to ask if I'd been up with Piglet yet, and when I realized it was well after his usual wake-up time I was in Piglet's room in 1.5 seconds to make sure he was still breathing (which, of course, he was).  Not only was he sleeping, but he also did a houdini-style escape.  We lay Piglet on an inclined sleep wedge, so that he can't roll over onto his belly.  Normally, his arms are positioned over the two side wedges and it kind of pins him in place (it is very cozy), somehow he managed to wiggle down out of the wedge and then rotate 90 degrees--which is how I found him at 4:30 that day.



So, fast forward to last night, and I turn on the light and there is Piglet, happily playing with the wedge, having perfected the houdini escape.  Unfortuanly once he saw me there was no going back, he wanted to play.  So I changed his diaper, tried to nurse him (which he was not at all interested in), and ultimately ended up being awake with him about twice as long as I usually would had he woken up crying.

The moral of the story is this: when I wake up to the sounds of Piglet over the baby monitor I should assess whether he is playing with his new favorite toy (i.e. the sleep wedge) or if he is crying and actually is hungry.  I might have unintentionally disrupted our second full-night of sleep. Bad mama!


This cute lumberjack hat was a Christmas Present from Auntie!

No comments:

Post a Comment