Thursday, August 26, 2010

Zucchini pizza

Please forgive my absence! I have been busy.
If you are like me and you have a garden you probably have zucchini and tomatoes coming out of your ears. Well, I have the answer. Today Zucchini pizza; tomorrow freezer tomato sauce.
I got the idea for this recipe here, but I made it my own.
I started by caramelizing some onions. I had 3 small yellow onions that I sautéed in 2 T evoo and 2T butter on medium-high heat. Make sure to add some salt (and fresh ground pepper), it helps the onions cook faster. Cook on medium-high stirring every couple of minutes for 10-15 minutes or until they start to brown and smell sweet and delish! Then, turn the heat to low and leave them to do their thing, stirring every two-three minutes until they are golden brown.
While the onions cook, get your ricotta ready. I took 1 c. part skim ricotta and added salt and pepper. Then I grated in 2 small garlic cloves using my microplane.
Next, grate 2 small zucchini, and mix with the zest from 1/2 a lemon (again with the microplane) and set aside (btw, I only ended up using about 3/4 of this mixture)
For the crust I used refrigerated crescent rolls, but if you are super ambitious like her, you could make your own. Spray a small cookie sheet with non-stick spray, then spread out the crescent roll on a cookie sheet and smoosh (that is a word) the perforations together and stretch it to fit the cookie sheet.

Cover the crescent roll crust with the ricotta mixture. Now, grab your onions. You didn't forget about them, did you? Fold the onions into the zucchini mixture and then spread on top of the ricotta cheese. Dot the top with fresh milk mozzarella and feta cheese. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes or until crust turns golden.
Yum!


Look, Oliver liked it:


He liked it a lot, hence, the food coma. I think it's nap time!


Mama, I ate too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment